Sunday, March 2, 2014

Snippet Sunday: Grandmotherly Advice

Another passage from early on in our manuscript, and this has Gabriel with his grandmother in Ireland, visiting the graves of his parents and grandfather, the two in conversation.


            “I just want you to be happy, Gabriel. You’re a good man, and I’m not just saying that because you’re my grandson. I’m saying it because it’s true. You’ve got a good heart, and that needs to be shared.” She paused, looking around, as if to make sure no one was close by. “Oh, good. We’re off the church grounds. I can say this without blushing. At the very least, you know... you need to get naked every once in awhile with someone you love.”
            “Gran!” he exclaimed in a tone of mock horror.
            “Oh, shush! Your grandfather and I were still....”
            Gabriel clasped his hands to his ears. “I’m not listening! La la la la la!”
            Bridget laughed. “All right, I’ll stop tormenting you. Come on now, lad. Take me to the pub. We’ll have a pint and some of that good meat pie.”

6 comments:

  1. Oh, this had me laughing!! great scene.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the grandmother! And I love how she relates to her grandson.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well grandmothers do have wisdom to pass along, although her sharing was TMI for sure! Fun snippet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun bit. Makes me curious about the story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun snippet! And you gotta watch out for little old ladies and sex talk. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always loved her. Wonderful character, and so wise!

    ReplyDelete