Thursday, September 30, 2010

Scarlett: On Love and Lust

James and I talked before he wrote the Gabriel and Dana scene. I suggested Dana might be a sore loser, like a certain woman we both know in real life. James felt that Dana, being Chloe's friend, would be a better person than that woman, able to accept it and be happy for the couple.

When I thought about it, I realized James was right. After all, Dana and Chloe are friends. Dana has no emotional investment in Gabriel. Her feelings for him, if they can indeed be called feelings, don't go beyond lust. In Dana's place, I could be a gracious loser, too.

Love is a different story. Being a woman of strong emotions, a passionate creature who feels everything x 100, I know I could not deal with watching the man I loved take a trip to the altar with someone else. Not that I wouldn't want him to be happy--loving someone means being able to put their happiness above your own, among other things. But could I continue to be a part of his life afterward? No. I'm not quite that selfless. I wish I were. I would wish him all the happiness in the world. And I would tell him goodbye.

Chloe, on the other hand, is a woman who's afraid of her emotions. She keeps them on a tight leash because they terrify her. Having been deeply hurt by her father's abandonment while so young, she is unable to love, to trust any man--until Gabriel comes into her life. Gabriel  is confident, a man who grew up knowing the love of both of his parents--until their sudden deaths in an automobile accident when he was eighteen, so he also knows how precious love is. He wants it again, and he wants it with Chloe.

Getting her to trust him enough to let love bind them, well...that's half the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment